By The Coastrek Team
As we hurtle towards summer, messaging around 'summer bodies' and 'shedding those winter kilos' are about to flow thick and fast into our orbit, on social media and in conversations with friends. To counter this messaging, we're here to remind you of all the reasons to exercise that have nothing to do with how you look and everything to do with how you feel.
Why is this important? Because when you move your body from a place of love, respect and joy, rather than punishment, restriction or shame, you're much more likely to stick at it. You can't fall off the bandwagon if you never jumped on in the first place. We're all about building a positive relationship with health and wellbeing, so you can enjoy movement, rest, food, play and all the wonders that come with it.
Here are 30 reasons to move your beautiful bod that have nothing to do with how you look.
- It’s good for your mental health.
- It’s fun. Seriously, it is. If you haven’t found a type of exercise you enjoy yet, keep looking! It’s out there.
- It’s nice to get outdoors. Sunshine, sparkling sky, nature. Amazing.
- It’s an excuse to catch up with girlfriends for a good, looooooong chat.
- It helps you feel more confident in what your body can do.
- It helps you feel stronger and more powerful.
- It helps build resilience. Challenging workouts help us manage challenges in life!
- It’s great for your joints – boring, but important.
- It’s great for your longevity, and who doesn’t want a longer, happier life?
- It makes you feel sparkly and alive.
- It makes you feel fresh and revitalised.
- It gets those happy hormones pumping. Who doesn’t love endorphins?
- It gets you out of your head and clears the fog.
- It reduces your risk of preventable chronic diseases, such as Type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- It’s great for your physical health.
- It helps to build community! Walking and talking is great for your social wellbeing.
- It reduces rumination.
- It helps you de-stress. Bad day at work? Walk it out.
- It reduces your risk of dementia.
- It literally extends your life. Research by the American Heart Foundation found that for each hour of regular exercise done, you'll gain roughly two hours of additional life expectancy.
- It allows you to go on adventures!
- It’s great for you heart and lungs.
- It improves your circulation.
- It increases your libido and improves your sex life. Yeah baby!
- It keeps your bones strong.
- It improves your immune function. Bye, bye, sniffles!
- It boosts your mood in just a few minutes.
- It boosts your productivity.
- It improves self-esteem.
- It helps you sleep better than melatonin!
What are your favourite reasons to exercise? Let us know in our Wild Women Community on Facebook.