By Bella Westaway
You know the feeling when last-minute guests rock up and you're not sure what to feed them? This recipe is the PERFECT snack, entree or side dish for those moments when you're short of food.
It's healthy, nourishing, quick and easy to make, and tastes like heaven. You'll WOW your guests with your culinary skills - minimal effort required.
Note: The trick to this recipe is quality ingredients. This is a simple recipe, but it's not one to make with supermarket bread or cooking oil. Use the best quality ingredients you can afford and it will taste amazing.
- Four slices of bread (I like rye sourdough)
- Two punnets of cherry or snacking tomatoes, finely chopped (into eighths)
- Half a spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- Half a bunch of basil, finely chopped
- Generous glug of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add tomatoes, onion, garlic and basil to a bowl
- Glug in olive oil, salt and pepper
- Let rest while you toast or grill the bread
- Drink wine and chat to friends while you wait (recommended but not essential)
- Taste the tomato mixture - add more salt or olive oil if necessary
- Spoon the tomato mix onto the toasted bread and devour!
Mix it up:
- Add feta or cream cheese to the bread after toasting.
- Add lemon juice to the tomato mix for added zing
- Add chopped olives to the tomato mix
- In a pan, add olive oil, dried thyme, oregano and salt and dip the bread in warm, herby oil before serving (SERIOUSLY GOOD!!!)